• Stream Valley Vet

November No-No's

There is no shortage of flyers, infographics, and listicles regarding common holiday items that could actually be very dangerous for your pets. But you know what? Spreading such information could save a pet's life, so we're happily providing yet another version of the list!

  • Antifreeze has a sweet, appealing taste for pets, but ingestion can be deadly. Keep your pets out of your garage where these chemicals are stored, and clean up any driveway spills immediately.

  • Ribbon, tinsel, glass ornaments, string lights, and other decor might choke, cut, or shock a curious pet. Keep such items unplugged and/or well out of your pet's reach.

  • Lilies, American holly, carnations, mistletoe, and poinsettia are among plants that can have effects ranging from mild skin/mouth irritation all the way to death from toxicity if your pet ingests them. Visit the ASPCA Pet Poison Control website for a more comprehensive list: https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants.

  • You've likely heard that chocolate can be incredibly dangerous for pets. The stimulants caffeine and theobromine can affect the heart and nervous system, and even the gastrointestinal upset from eating an out-of-the-ordinary food can be severe. Keep those sweet treats (and their wrappers) away from your pets!

  • You might like to let loose and unwind with a drink, but our pets should never celebrate with a holiday cocktail! Beyond the disorientation and vomiting that alcohol can also cause for us, seizures and death may occur in an intoxicated pet.

  • Holiday table foods in general can be too rich or contain dangerous ingredients that, if nothing else, can lead to stomach upset and general gastrointestinal illness. When you sit down to a celebratory meal with your human family, consider offering your pets appropriate pet treats so that they can safely join in the feast.

  • Grapes and raisins seem like healthy snack options in the face holiday party fare, but for reasons that are not quite clear, they can lead to kidney failure in dogs, even when very small amounts are ingested.

  • Even if you're trying to be good and go sugar-free, you'll need to take care around your pets. "Diet" sweeteners, particularly xylitol, can lead to seizures, liver failure, and even death in our pets.

This is, by no means, an all-inclusive list, but it is a great starting point as you think about creating pet-safe holiday celebrations. Visit the ASPCA Pet Poison Control page (https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control) for more information to help you and your pets have a safe #Thanksgiving and #holiday season!

Hours

Monday - Friday 

7:00 am - 7:00 pm

Saturday: 8:00 am - 3:00 pm

Sunday: *5:00 pm - 7:00 pm (boarder pickup only)

FF Certified Professional Logo jpg.jpg

42902 Waxpool Road

Ashburn, VA 20148

Phone: (703)-723-1017

receptionsvvh@gmail.com

  • Stream Valley on Facebook
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon

© 2020 by Stream Valley Veterinary Hospital.